What It Takes to Be a Foster Family
As a foster family, you will provide a temporary home to animals with special medical or behavioral needs, to puppies or kittens under 8 weeks of age, to a nursing mother and her litter or just an animal who needs a break from the shelter. Some animals need just a few weeks of foster care, while others may need longer-term foster placement. Fostering is flexible enough for most lifestyles, and we allow you to choose which animals you are interested in fostering. By offering your time, love, and home to an animal in need, you are truly changing their life and their chance at adoption.
How Foster Care Works
HSNEGA provides all veterinary care, medication (if needed), food, and necessary supplies for the foster animal(s), in addition to plenty of support to foster families. Foster parent volunteers provide a nurturing, warm, and safe environment as well as lots of love. When you become a foster family you will receive an email once per week with animals who need fostering along with each animal’s biography. Foster families then make an appointment and come to HSNEGA to pick up their new foster animal.
Steps to Becoming a Foster Family
- Your first step in becoming a HSNEGA foster family is signing up for one of our virtual volunteer and foster orientations. These orientations are held virtually once per month and you can let us know you are interested HERE.
- Fill out the Foster Application found HERE
- Set up a Home Inspection, required by Georgia State Law, with our Foster Coordinator. You can schedule that HERE.
- Schedule a meet and greet with your potential foster
- Pick up your foster animal at HSNEGA!!
Give with Confidence
At HSNEGA, we want to remember the amazing rescues that come to stay with us. All of the animals pictured on this site have been with us at some point. Some have already found their forever homes, but some may still be here at HSNEGA! The Humane Society of Northeast Georgia is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization (Federal Tax ID #58-0678817) and has received top recognition from the following charity rating organizations: