What is Humane Education?
Humane Education fosters respect for all living beings on earth. At the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia, Humane Education programs are available for persons of every age and include shelter tours, classroom visits, reading programs, and Scout Badge Programs aimed at fostering the Mission of the HSNEGA among other things. For more information on the educational programs listed below, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at Outreach@HSNEGA.org.
HSENGA’s Wish List
HSNEGA encourages each educational group to bring an item from the wish list below.
- Dog and cat toys
- Baby wipes
- Disinfectant wipes
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Old towels and/or blankets (any sizes)
- Empty spray bottles
Available Group Programs
Below is a list of all the available programs HSNEGA offers. Programs can be tailored to accommodate whatever learning objectives you may have for your group.
- Reading&Rescues: Along with your group tour, students can grab a book from our small library (or bring their own!) and read to our rescues. This program benefits both students and rescues by providing socialization for our rescues and reading practice for students in front of a non-judgmental audience. Every student will receive a free HSNEGA bookmark! (30 minutes)
- Being the “Perfect Person”: Ideal for children pre-k through 2nd grade, enjoy the interactive story of “Pablo Puppy’s Search for the Perfect Person” along with a discussion on being a “Perfect” pet owner and rescue pets. (30 minutes)
- The Pet Shop: Ideal for children 2nd through 6th grade, students will select items that they would need for their new pet and add up costs. Discussion about what items are needed to provide properly for the care of our pets. (45 minutes)
- Dr. Doolittle: Pet Communication: Tailored to any age range, this educational program reviews how to safely interact with new animals and interpret animal body language. (45 minutes)
- OverPUPulation & MultipliCATion: Ideal for middle school and above, this educational includes an activity demonstrating how quickly pet populations can grow and the importance of spay/neuter and pet wellness. (45 minutes)
Reading and Rescues: (Individual’s Only. Groups must schedule a group program in advance.)
Whether your children are too young to volunteer or you’re looking for a new way to entice your kids to read, Reading and Rescues is a great solution. Children can grab a book and a pillow from our small library (or bring their own!) and read to our rescues. This program benefits both children and rescues by providing socialization for our rescues and reading practice for children in front of a non-judgmental audience. Sign in at the front desk and read the guidelines prior to entering the kennel area. Every child will receive a free HSNEGA bookmark!
Can’t bring your students to us? We can bring the HSNEGA to you! The Humane Society of Northeast Georgia offers educational programs along with a visit from an Ambassadog for classroom groups of all ages. Classroom programs are offered on a first-come, first-served basis, availability is limited. Programs are free with student donations from our educational or full Wish List, which you can find HERE or groups can give a nominal donation of $25. See all of our available programs below. Take advantage of this great resource and schedule your classroom program today! To request a program, please fill out the Group Visit Form. Please request a visit at least two weeks in advance to allow us time to prepare. For more information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at Outreach@HSNEGA.org.
Adoption Center Tours
Do you have a class or club organization that is interested in learning more about the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia? Would you like a tour with your educational program? Bring your group to us! Scheduled tours are available for your small group or class. Along with your tour, you will get a short introduction to HSNEGA and a meet and greet with one of our friendly rescues. Groups should consist of no less than 5 and no more than 15 people per visit. There should be 1 adult for every 5 children. Tours last approximately 30 minutes. Again, tours are free with donations from our educational or full wishlist or with a nominal donation of $25. Please request your tour at least two weeks in advance. Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at Outreach@HSNEGA.org for information on scheduling a tour.
Give with Confidence
At HSNEGA, we want to remember the amazing rescues that come to stay with us. All of the animals pictured on this site have been with us at some point. Some have already found their forever homes, but some may still be here at HSNEGA! The Humane Society of Northeast Georgia is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization (Federal Tax ID #58-0678817) and has received top recognition from the following charity rating organizations: