Become a LIFESAVER today!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia (HSNEGA). HSNEGA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with a small staff that relies heavily on volunteers. Each year, more than 300 volunteers donate upwards of 20,000 hours of service giving hands-on care to animals, raising much-needed funds for HSNEGA, educating the community, assisting in the Healthy Pet Clinic, providing administrative and facility support, and more. HSNEGA volunteers report experiencing a deep sense of satisfaction from improving the lives of rescued animals while working alongside others who share the desire to build a better future for all animals in northeast Georgia.
If you would like to become an HSNEGA Volunteer, please follow the below steps. We offer an online Volunteer Orientation to better serve you! The purpose of the Volunteer Orientation is two-fold: to help you get better acquainted with the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia and to walk you through the various volunteer opportunities and the basics of volunteer expectations and protocols. If you are volunteering as a group or family, please have everyone work through the orientation together. We provide training for all volunteer positions, so no prior experience is required. Feel free to contact HSNEGA’s Volunteer Coordinator by email at Outreach@HSNEGA.org or by phone at 770-532-6617 ext. 230 with any questions.
Humane Hero Teen Volunteer Program
• Be of age. Individual volunteer positions have a minimum age requirement of 18. Volunteers ages 8-17 are welcome to apply to volunteer as long as they are accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times. Specialty volunteer programs/opportunities also are available for teens, families, groups, and youth. If you are a teen between the ages 14-17 and would like to volunteer without parental supervision, you can apply to our Humane Heroes Program (acceptance is limited).
• Make a commitment of 4 hours per month for 6 months. We ask volunteers to make a 6-month commitment due to the training time that goes into our volunteer positions.
• Be punctual and reliable. The shelter relies heavily on volunteers. It requires a great deal of effort to ensure the position is covered on short notice. In some cases, such as Pet Therapy, the visit might have to be canceled entirely. As such, please update your schedule as soon as possible if you are unable to attend your scheduled shift or contact the Volunteer Coordinator or the immediate position supervisor right away.
• Be an HSNEGA representative. While people come to HSNEGA because they love animals, volunteers must also be able to work well with other people. Our shelter isn’t just about animals – it’s about people helping animals and the community. HSNEGA volunteers are responsible for promoting the goals and mission of the agency and acting in a manner that preserves the integrity of the facility.
• Maintain procedures and protocols. All tasks, from handling animals to stuffing envelopes, have specific procedures. Volunteers must adhere to these procedures unless a staff member directs them otherwise. Once volunteers have completed their training, they are expected to work with minimal supervision. Following through on tasks ensures the animals are receiving the best possible care. HSNEGA team members are always available to answer questions.
Give with Confidence
At HSNEGA, we want to remember the amazing rescues that come to stay with us. All of the animals pictured on this site have been with us at some point. Some have already found their forever homes, but some may still be here at HSNEGA! The Humane Society of Northeast Georgia is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization (Federal Tax ID #58-0678817) and has received top recognition from the following charity rating organizations: