Adoption Procedures & Policies
Please review HSNEGA’s Adoption procedures and policies below.
Each year, the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia (HSNEGA) helps hundreds of rescued animals find loving homes. The HSNEGA Adoption Center team will work with you to find the right dog, cat, or critter for your home.
- Adopters must provide government-issued photo identification (i.e. driver’s license, passport, etc.) at the time of application. Please note that completing an application does not guarantee an approved adoption.
- Adopters must be 18 years of age or older. If the adopter still lives at home, they must have the permission of the homeowner (parents, etc.) in order to be approved for adoption.
- Adopters who rent from a landlord are asked to satisfy any requirements regarding notification and approval for pet ownership and proof of a paid pet deposit, if applicable.
- Cats/kittens must go home in a secure pet carrier. Adopters are welcome to bring their own or purchase collars, leashes and/or carriers from HSNEGA’s Bessie B’s Pet Store located inside the Adoption Center.
- All adoptions must take place in person. HSNEGA does not transport animals for adoption.
- Pet adoptions are based on a “best match” basis.
- HSNEGA does not hold animals unless the potential adopter has previously met and spent time with the pet. If the party has spent time with the pet, they can opt to place the pet on a 24-hour hold (holds placed on Sundays will be for 48 hours) for a $25 fee which is applicable toward the adoption fee.
- If the adopter is wanting to adopt a canine and currently has a canine(s) at home, HSNEGA strongly encourages adopters to consider bringing them to the Adoption Center for a “meet & greet.”
- If applicants currently have an “outdoor pet,” their adoption may be denied.
- To ensure the pet is compatible with everyone, HSNEGA encourages all household/family members to interact with the potential new pet before the adoption is finalized.
- HSNEGA is cautious when placing pets in homes with children under the age of 6. We encourage adopters with young children to consider adopting an older pet and to bring young children to our Adoption Center for a “meet & greet” with any animal being considered for adoption.
- HSNEGA reserves the right to limit the number of animals that can be adopted at any one time, require certain animals to be adopted together, or enforce other restrictions as needed.
- In some cases, HSNEGA may determine an animal is not suited for an adopter because the adopter’s needs, expectations and/or resources are not a “good match” for the animal’s history or behavior. Sometimes that means we will work with the adopter to find an animal better suited for their lifestyle. Other times, we may deny an adoption or request the adopter wait if they are expecting a major transition in the near future such as moving into a new home, having a baby, or dealing with another pet who is experiencing health issues.
- After adoption, HSNEGA will follow-up with email and/or phone inquiries to ensure the animal is adjusting to his/her new home.
- HSNEGA reserves the right to refuse adoption to anyone for any reason.
Give with Confidence
At HSNEGA, we want to remember the amazing rescues that come to stay with us. All of the animals pictured on this site have been with us at some point. Some have already found their forever homes, but some may still be here at HSNEGA! The Humane Society of Northeast Georgia is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization (Federal Tax ID #58-0678817) and has received top recognition from the following charity rating organizations: